Blossoms that live even through the winter!
Blossoms all through the winter? My poor plants dread that season, and only my Christmas cactus might flower for me if I am vigilant in moving it to a sunny window.
For the collage on this reclaimed cedar board, I relied on Shakespeare's talent with words.
If you studied Romeo and Juliet in high school, you know that in just that one play, he had a lot to say about flowers and herbs.
For example, you surely you remember that "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet..." Or that he knew that "Within the infant rind of this weak flower/Poison hath residence and medicine power." (Romeo and Juliet)
Contrary to many men today, he knew the difference between a petunia and a dandelion! Just saying!
"I know a bank where the wild thyme blows..." (A Midsummer Night's Dream)
"Here's flowers for you;/ Hot lavender, mints, savoury, marjoram;/ The marigold that goes to bed wi' the sun,/ And with him rises weeping: these are the flowers/ Of middle summer, and I think they are given/ To men of middle age."( The Winter's Tale).
Of course, Shakespeare also knew that daffodils and violets and primroses are spring flowers. He had a wealth of knowledge of herbs and their medicinal purposes as well.
Most of all, Shakespeare acknowledged in his sonnets and plays, our need for beauty in flowers.
However, I must apologize to the Bard: I changed the word order in my collage and perhaps the intended meaning of the passage as well in doing so.
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.
( From The Tempest)
Wouldn't it be lovely to have flowers blooming all year long?
This flower girl sat in my art room for almost an entire year.
After staring at her for all those months, I added more colour to the flowers and decided I wanted to collage some words about flowers on the cedar plank.
I first posted her in August last year as a work in progress (WIP).
How to be a flower fairy:
- Feel the cool morning grass between your toes
- Fill old jugs with fresh flowers and place them where they can be admired all day
- Laugh until your belly hurts
- Look for the rainbow after the storm
- Admire the colours of the sunset each day
- Listen for symphonies in nature; birds in the morning, crickets at night, Canada geese flying south in the fall
- Think poetically; this ______ (unknown or strange object) is like __________ (something common)
- Be adventurous -let your wings carry you along
- Face your fears and discover new wonders
- Be open-minded and accepting
- Smile and talk to people whose path crosses yours
- Speak positive thoughts and bury the negative thoughts
Make the world a better place for all!
More details about this One of a Kind art (OOAK)...
The flower fairy measures approximately 4.5” X 24”.
The cedar plank is naturally weathered and is ready to hang, preferably indoors where the paint and collage elements will not be subjected to extreme weather conditions. It has been given a few coats of varnish for protection against dust.
She is available in the Ottawa area only, and ready for local pick-up.
$50.00 payable by cash or etransfer. I will deliver in the Orleans area or you can pick up at my home.